Still Alive and Kickin

Things in our house are getting a bit better, although there are definitely moments every day where things aren’t great.  We continue to get glimpses of the girls previous home environment and it’s not always a pretty site.  So, we do our best to try and provide them structure, discipline and encouragement as they work their way thru a lot of emotions about their lives and especially about the last 6 months.

We headed out last Thursday for a trip to D.C. to attend our annual Toukoul Adoptive Families Reunion (TAFRU).  We got a late start and drove as long as we could.  We made it to Columbus, OH and stopped for the night.  The next morning we got dressed and headed downstairs to breakfast.  We had only been in the dining room a few minutes when the assistant manager asked us if we were from Illinois.  We told him we were and he informed us that our van had been broken into during the early morning hours.  Needless-to-say, this put a crimp in our travel plans.  Eventually, we realized there was no way to make it to D.C. in time for the evening reunion event and then realized we wouldn’t be pulling into D.C. until late which meant two long days of travel and late nights.  In addition, we needed to take care of some business regarding the vandalism to our van and theft of some of our things.  By 1:30 that afternoon we realized it was going to be best for us to turn around and head back home.

We arrived home Friday night and Saturday morning Lili woke up with a fever.  104 fever for a matter-of-fact.  I gave her something for the fever and didn’t worry about it too much.  I knew there was a virus going around and felt she would be better in a couple of days.  Then yesterday morning she woke up with a fever and severe sore throat.  I gave her some more medication for her fever and sore throat.  Later I looked in her throat and didn’t like what I saw so it was off to visit the doctor.  It took him no time at all to diagnose her with hand, foot and mouth disease.  Her throat was covered with the ulcers and I am now watching her hands and feet for the rash and blisters to form.  Apparently, it’s really going around the area right now.

But it doesn’t end there.  This morning Naomi woke up and was not herself.  Within the first half-hour of her being up, she began to throw up.  No fever and seemed to feel fine afterwards.  Then shortly before lunch, she threw up again.

I can only hope that it stops there and we don’t have to deal with 1 or 2 more sick kids.

Other than kid stuff and travel snafus, I’ve been trying to build my Barefoot Books business.  It’s not easy to get a business started and adding two more kids to the mix certainly makes it even more challenging.

I will have a giveaway once per quarter and have set up my first one.  Check it out on my Barefoot Books blog  Sure would like to have lots of participation and hope you’ll all support my efforts.

I promise I’ll post pictures soon.  For privacy reasons, I won’t be able to post pictures of our newest girls, but will keep everyone updated on their progress.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s