Part of the homesteading lifestyle, is the desire to do things ourselves.
Instead of buying all our food at the grocery store, we want to grow our own produce, raise our own meat, and provide ourselves with dairy products.
Instead of heating our home with gas or electric, we want to use wood that comes from our own property.
Instead of going out and replacing something that breaks, we should try to first fix it ourselves.
The list goes on, but the outcome is the same. We gain a higher level of self-sufficiency, we save money, we learn lessons and we have a level of satisfaction that we can’t get from outside resources.
Historically, when something breaks in our house we either call the repairman or we replace it. So when the washing machine broke last week and flooded the house – you can read about it here – both hubby and I began shopping for a new washer. Of course if I’m going to purchase a washer, then I should purchase the matching dryer. After all, this set is somewhere between 12-15 years old, the dryer is bound to give up in the not too distant future and has served its purpose. It doesn’t matter that the dryer still works, we can sell the set on Craigslist and put that money toward the new set. Someone else will buy it, fix the washer and all will be good.
Then it happened. Sticker shock!!!!! Seriously people, why do washers and dryers cost so much money? I’m quite sure they have doubled in price since I purchased my set and how many loads of laundry could I do at the Laundromat before I would have paid for a new set? I began doing the math and it wasn’t pretty.
In the meantime, hubby switched his focus from shopping for a new washer and dryer to figuring out what the problem was with our washer, narrowed it down to the most likely problem and ordered the part. Yesterday the part arrived and when he got home from work he rolled up his sleeves and went to work. Within about 20 minutes everything was done and we tested it out. No leaking. I did a load of laundry. No flood, not even a tiny leak. It was the first time he has done any washing machine repair and my Mr. Fix-It man did a great job!!
By simply changing our mindset, we saved around $200 in repair costs and saved around $1500 by not running out to purchase new appliances. Not only did we save a lot of money, but this experience has taught us a valuable lesson. It has given us more confidence in our abilities or in this case, hubby’s abilities 🙂